Active@ ERASER with DOS Interface
- Preparing a DOS-bootable Floppy Disk
- Modes of Operation:
- DOS Interactive Mode
- DOS Command Line Mode
- DOS Autoexecute Mode
Preparing a DOS-Bootable Floppy Disk
Active@ ERASER is a powerful utility with a small footprint. It is small enough to operate from a single floppy drive in a Microsoft DOS environment. This can be useful in a number of situations.
For example, a computer technician who is assigned to erase the data on PCs with hard drives containing Windows operating systems or operating systems other than DOS or Windows, can use a single DOS-bootable floppy to erase all data.
This chapter describes the steps to create a DOS-bootable floppy (a startup disk) and run the utility. If you have a bootable floppy, skip to the Copy Active@ ERASER to a Floppy section, below.
To prepare a bootable floppy from MS-DOS, Windows 95/98/ME/XP, put a blank 3.5-inch floppy in the floppy drive (drive A:) and follow the appropriate instructions below:
Windows 95/98 MS-DOS or Command Prompt Mode
- On the screen, type the format command as follows:
FORMAT A: /S
- Follow on-screen messages until process is complete.
Windows 95/98/ME Operating System
- Click the Start button and click Settings > Control Panel.
- From the Control Panel screen, click Add/Remove Programs.
- In the Add/Remove Programs screen, click the Startup Disk tab.
- Click Startup Disk... and follow the screen instructions until the process is complete.
Windows XP Operating System
- Right-click A: drive.
- From the drop-down menu, click Format...
- Enable the checkbox beside Create an MS-DOS startup disk
- Click the Start button and follow the screen instructions until the process is complete.
Copying Active@ ERASER to a Floppy
- Copy the Active@ ERASER file (HDERASER.EXE) to the bootable floppy disk or startup disk in drive A:.
- If you don't have the Active@ ERASER file, download it from www.active-eraser.com.
- After copying the file onto the floppy disk, remove it from the floppy drive.
Labeling the Disk
If you plan to use Active@ ERASER in Command Line mode, please skip the next section and read Boot to DOS (Command Line Mode). Once preparation of the bootable 3.5-inch floppy disk is complete, you are ready to begin removing data.
- Combine all the above steps into one by navigating to our Web site.
- Download and run Bootable Floppy Disk Creator for Active@ ERASER
- Once you have installed Active@ ERASER on the floppy, you are ready to boot from the floppy and use the software for disk erasing.